Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Here We Go...

Well, I was warned from day one when my GI said, "You'll probably miscarry, so don't freak out." (Yes, he really said that.)  So I expected that my pregnancy wouldn't be typical.

And then when I was hospitalized, everyone told me I'd go into preterm labor since I had active UC.  They were right.

At 3am on Saturday morning, I woke up feeling like I might be peeing a little bit!  After going to the bathroom and feeling like things were still kind of leaky, I started Googling.  Lots of women talked about having little pee leaks later in pregnancy, so I tried to convince myself that's what was happening and got back in bed.  But every time I shifted weight, it felt like I was continuing to leak a little.  (I'm telling you these lovely details because I really had never heard of this happening before, and would have appreciated a detailed account!)  By 7am, I knew that I was either going to have a really annoying final 2 months of pregnancy (peeing my pants constantly) or my water was broken. 

I paged my OB's office, and they told me to go to triage at the hospital.  After a very quick internal exam, they confirmed immediately that my water was broken.  At 32 weeks and 3 days, the doctors decided to give me two shots of steroids to develop the baby's lungs and begin two courses of IV antibiotics.  My GI suggested Gentimicin and Ampicillin as the least dangerous for IBD.  The goal is to keep the baby inside and prevent contractions until 34 weeks. 

At 34 weeks, they will induce me, because at that point, with low fluids, the risks to the baby begin to outweigh the benefits of keeping him in.  (Risks include infection or him crushing the umbilical cord.)

So that's the latest.  Here are my conclusions/the lessons I learned about all this:
  • Apparently active UC disease can really mean preterm labor, just like the docs and research say.  
  • If your water breaks, the baby can stay inside (and the fluids actually replenish!), but there are risks of infection to the baby because the membranes are broken and bacteria can get in.
  • If the water is broken and you're close to 34 weeks, my docs won't stop labor if it begins.
  • But if you can make it to 34 weeks, the baby is in pretty decent developmental shape (though he will have to spend time in the NICU).
Just sitting in the hospital bed now, trying to stay relatively horizontal because, "Gravity is not my friend" when it comes to contractions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi so sorry you are in the hospital. I just got out recently. PM me if you want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know your beliefs but I just want you to know I prayed for you and your baby. Good luck to you. I believe that God has giving you this baby as a gift and you two will both be fine. Many blessings to you.. I wish you the best! I know how hard this disease can be. I have yet to reach remission but I also know he power of prayer. Take care and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete