Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Stool Transplant...Not Looking So Gross Anymore...


I've written about stool transplants before.  But even since then, my perspective has changed from something abstract to something that's a personal possibility.

It's been a week and a half since my first Simponi injections, nothing has changed, and I know I'm teetering on the edge of hospitalization.  After more than a year on high doses of prednisone, I want to avoid getting back on that roller coaster.  There aren't a lot of options.

This article about FMT (fecal microbiota transplant) was in the New York Times yesterday.  In short, taking a healthy person's stool and "transplanting" it into a sick person's colon can populate the sick colon with healthy microbes.  And it seems to really work when all else has failed.

Next time I see my doctor, I'll be asking about this. (Is that how you know you're at the end of your rope?)

1 comment:

  1. I have heard about this as well and am interested in the possibilities. How did it work for you?

    ReplyDelete