Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Working Out Woes

Ran a 5k at 7 weeks. Super un-fun. How do these ladies do it?

I was never someone who "loved" working out to begin with.  So when struck with the one-two punch of nausea and exhaustion (yay, first trimester), I embraced total laziness.  Plus, while jogging on the treadmill had always been tedious, within weeks of finding out I was pregnant, I found myself getting really breathless.  (I don't think there's any medical basis for this.  Probably psychosomatic.  Or just psycho.)

The other issue I have--and this one actually concerns me in regards to the baby--is that working out often increases my IBD symptoms.  I'm not sure if working out leads to heightened immunity which then results in autoimmune issues, but I do notice a direct correlation between the working out and flares.

HOWEVER, my sedentary lifestyle (combined with a new-found obsession with all things carb) was starting to freak me out.  So with the second trimester, I'm back to the gym (very moderately).  I'm really enjoying yoga.  Spinning is okay too since it's up to you to determine the intensity.  Jogging still sucks, but the stepper is alright.

My flare has actually gotten worse, but I suspect that has more to do with my dependence on pizza (due to total food aversions to anything with protein or fiber), and less to do with yoga.  Here's to hoping the coming weeks bring that mythical "honeymoon stage" of pregnancy...

No comments:

Post a Comment