Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Drugs, drugs, drugs...

For a typical mom-to-be, the idea of taking Tylenol would make her squeamish.  But for those of us with chronic illnesses, powerful drugs are a necessary evil.  When researching IBD drugs online, "the experts" reassure us that all is fine, but I kept asking myself, "Are real women following this advice or am I the only sucker?"  I couldn't find anyone legit online (besides anonymous forums) that discussed using biologics or immunosuppressants while preg.  

I currently inject 80mg of Humira once every two weeks.  It's not ideal, but I need it.  Both my OB-GYN and gastroenterologist insist that it is safe during pregnancy and even while breastfeeding (although baby cannot have live vaccines).  I was also on prednisone when I discovered I was pregnant and quickly tapered off that same week.  

Should the ever-lurking flare recur, I will be going back on prednisone.  The Docs say the risk to the baby is far greater if mom is flaring than the risk of prednisone's side effects; I'll keep telling myself that.  

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is so comforting! My husband and I aren't trying to conceive at the moment, but I've had to discontinue birth control pills due to the risk of developing blood clots. It's been comforting to know that, even if I need to take some medications, I'm not alone in the potential process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! Just for some follow up to this post, I ended up taking a ton of prednisone throughout the entire pregnancy (and during breastfeeding), and my son is just fine. I had so much anxiety about meds and their risks, but in the end, the doctors were right. I hope you're feeling well (despite the blood clots)!

      Delete