Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Specific Carbohydrate Diet: It Can't Hurt!

While taking prescribed medication is essential to remission, I'm always trying to keep control using natural means.  I find the Specific Carbohydrate Diet offers some relief from symptoms and can keep moderate flares at bay.  It is extremely strict, but when I follow it obediently, it makes a difference.  The key rules are:
  • No grains (wheat, barley, oats, rice, quinoa)
  • No refined sugar OR sugar substitutes (replace all sugar with honey)
  • No soy
  • No potatoes (including sweet potatoes)
  • Limited dairy
So what can you eat?  Lots of lean protein, veggies, fruits, and nuts.  There are some fantastic recipe books out there, and I'll post some of my favorite recipes as well.  Frankly, this is a very rich and healthful diet for your growing baby, and if it helps keep your symptoms in remission, it's worth it.  My OB-GYN and gastroenterologist both suggested that I continue the diet throughout pregnancy.

If you're new to SCD, check out the bible: Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet by Elaine Gottschall B.A., M.Sc.

My favorite recipe book: Eat Well, Feel Well: Meals to help manage Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, diverticulitis, IBS, and other digestive conditions by Kendall Conrad, M.Sc.

No comments:

Post a Comment