Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Homemade Yogurt: Probiotics Without the Sugar


One of the cornerstones of SCD is homemade yogurt, and it's healthful for everyone--even those with unrestricted diets--especially pregnant women.  Those of us with IBD or IBS often avoid diary, and this is a great way to get calcium that you need now more than ever.
Additional benefits of homemade yogurt are:
  • It has very little lactose (even less if you use goat milk). 
  • It has probiotics that can help with digestive upset that all women suffer from when pregnant.
  • You can control the ingredients.  Conventional yogurt has a ton of sugar, but homemade yogurt is literally just milk and probiotics.
My sweet mom makes me a batch every few weeks.  (I've done it myself too but failed because I didn't mix the probiotics well enough.)  She uses the Yogourmet yogurt maker and GI ProHealth probiotics.

Here are the steps:
  1. Heat 2% organic milk for 2 minutes, keeping it between 185 and 190 degrees to kill bacteria.
  2. Refrigerate milk until it returns to 70-80 degrees.
  3. Slowly add probiotics (heaping 1/4 teaspoon for a gallon), mixing VERY well.
  4. Allow the yogurt maker to heat the milk for 24 hours.
  5. Remove internal container from yogurt maker (but don't open!) and refrigerate for 8 hours.
  6. Enjoy!  I always top with honey and bananas or berries.  (Not tough enough for plain yogurt...)

2 comments:

  1. This is really nice that you have shared this. I have never tried a homemade one. I've been into probiotics ever since and this is something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sloane! Thanks for your comment. I've tried all sorts of probiotics too (Bio K, various capsules, etc), and unfortunately (because it's a lot of work AND it doesn't taste the best) I've found this yogurt to really be notably more powerful. I hope it works for you!

      Delete