Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Baby Blanket Knitting Project

This isn't mine (it's from www.thecakeplate.blogspot.com).  
But let's hope mine eventually resembles this.

In case any of you are knitting for baby...

As our baby is arriving in, at most, 9.5 weeks, I decided to commit to a knitting project.

I like this cable blanket pattern: I have a penchant for cables and it's easy to memorize.  In other words, it's easy to knit while watching crappy tv.  This is a common theme, but due to my laziness, I used yarn that I already had at home (Blue Sky worsted weight organic cotton) and opted for larger needles (size 11).  This is giving my blanket a much looser gauge, but since he's basically a summer baby, this is okay with me.  Though, if I were to choose for aesthetic reasons, I'd probably opt to follow the pattern more closely.  I also don't love using cotton yarn for cables, but hopefully it comes out alright.

Anyhow, the pattern is very well written, and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a very simple yet satisfying project.

UPDATE: I ripped out that stretchy, cotton yarn and bought a merino from Malabrigo (606 Frost Gray). What's the point of dedicating hours to a project that's going to turn out sub-par? Also using size 9 needles now. Much happier so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment