Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Just Try Them!" Carrot Pancakes

This photo is from www.glutenfreehappytummy.blogspot.com because hers were much nicer looking than mine.  I didn't drizzle pureed strawberries; I nuked frozen berry medley and slopped them onto the pancakes. Still tasty.

This morning I asked my husband if he wanted pancakes, and he was initially intrigued.  But then he walked over, took a look at the batter, and said, "UGH! No!"

So they look really...healthy.  But start cooking them, and you'll see they're more like donuts.  My guy still won't try them, but if you give them a chance, I think they'll impress you.

Here's the original recipe which I didn't change much, but I did double it. Hey, I'm hungry.

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup almond flour
  • 6 carrots, grated (I bought pre-grated carrots, used 5oz.  Definitely worth the short cut!)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp (more of a sprinkle) cloves
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 4 egg whites 
  • Frozen berries of your choice
Directions:
  1. If you're not as lazy as me, and you didn't buy pre-grated carrots, grate your carrots. Place them in a clean kitchen towel and wring out the excess liquid. 
  2. In a medium-sized bowl (I used a standing mixer), whip your egg whites until they form nice peaks. 
  3. In a separate bowl, combine your grated carrots, almond flour, spices, and baking soda. 
  4. Fold your dry ingredients into the egg whites.
  5. Add vanilla and honey.
  6. On medium high, melt butter on a frying pan or griddle, spoon pancakes onto cooking surface. Cook for 2-3 minutes a side, until golden brown.  Watch out--they burn quickly!
  7. Microwave your berries for about a minute and thirty seconds, til their warm.
  8. Pour berries (I include some juice too) over pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment