Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Glucose Test: If You're On Prednisone...

(Photo courtesy cardinal.com)
Yum! Who's excited??

Every doctor is different and will give different advice, but I thought I'd share my experience with the glucose test which we typically get between 24 and 28 weeks.

Bottomline: You know how everyone complains about that sugary orange stuff?  It might be pointless for you to drink it.

My doctor told me that when you're on high doses of prednisone, you often have problems metabolizing sugar anyway.  Instead of having me use the sugar drink, she had me just do a fasting blood test.  (We were both also concerned about how the high levels of sugar could affect my tenuous remission.)

I fasted for 8 hours before the test.  Then they tested my blood.  I ate my typical breakfast in the office, and then an hour later they tested my blood again.  The doctor was confident that this was enough, and I was happy to get out of dealing with the infamous orange drink. 

It's worth asking about if you're on prednisone or a sugar-free diet (like SCD)!

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting. I always wondered what happened with that test with people who have crohns. I saw a couple of people on the baby center forum that the drink made them sick.

    ReplyDelete