Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Today I spazzed.

Happy New Year, by the way!

Yesterday we announced the pregnancy on Facebook (with the photo above).

Then today I experienced a perfect storm of anxiety:
  • A 3 lb drop when I weighed myself (despite my obsessive quest for calories)
  • Multiple people (in real life, not Facebook) commenting on the small size of my baby bump
  • A really busy day where I didn't feel baby kick as much as normal
So...yes.  I had a meltdown.  Self-diagnosed myself with IUGR.  (IUGR does affect IBD pregnancies, so it is important to be aware of it as a possibility.) Called the OB.

They were kind enough to see me.  Here's what they said, in case anyone else has a similar freak-out: 
  1. "Big movements and small movements 'count' the same.  Just because you feel really big kicks one day and then light flutters the next does not mean you're feeling decreased movement.  Count and make sure you're feeling a total of 10 movements (big or small) per day."
  2. "The baby takes the nutrients he needs.  Maternal weight doesn't measure fetus size.  Your uterus height, however, does indicate fetal size." (Which they checked in the exam.)
  3. I was really worried about this ongoing cough I've had.  Don't make fun of me, but I asked if the baby could catch a virus from me.  The answer is no.  
So that's my embarrassing moment of the day.  I share so you can avoid your own (maybe...)  After all, there's nothing as comforting as hearing the sound of that heartbeat on the doppler!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you had a good christmas! I just wanted to say that I think you look fine. I know it's easier said than done to not worry about what others think but it's not going to help any thing. Just enjoy yourself and know that you're doing the best you can. Give yourself a pat on the back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiffany! Your supportive words are so kind. Honestly, the anxiety probably comes from within moreso than from what anyone else says. (And probably a good portion of that is prednisone-induced! That stuff makes me a little crazyyyy...) Hope you're continuing to feel well!

      Delete