Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Grain-free meatfloaf, for cold winter days

Hmm...how to make a photo of meatloaf look good...?

I've never eaten meatloaf before.  I did not come from a meatloaf family.  My parents are both excellent cooks and never really made anything so...1950's.  But I was having a major comfort-food craving, so when I found a meatloaf recipe that was SCD friendly, I thought, "Why not?"

My first taste of this made me wonder what the real difference is between meatloaf and meatballs, besides the shape.  But I like meatballs, so whatever.

Here's the original recipe, which we really enjoyed, though I did modifiy it to remove some SCD-illegal stuff.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 8 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried minced onion (from the spice aisle) 
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp sea salt 
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg 
  • 1/2 tsp ground mustard
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Grease your loaf pan.
  3. Dice onions and mince garlic. Saute the onions in butter until they are translucent and then add the garlic for a couple of minutes, careful not to burn it.
  4. Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.  (I gave up and used my hands for this.)
  5. Form into a loaf and place in the loaf pan.
  6. Bake for 30-40 minutes 
  7. Slice and serve. (Mine fell apart a bit, probably because I greedily dug into it the minute it emerged from the oven.)
If you like ketchup here is an SCD-friendly recipe.  I'm not a huge ketchup fan, so I can't say I've tried it.  I ate mine with pico de gallo, and it was pretty delicious.  My husband ate it with Siracha sauce, which made me a little jealous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment