Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

An SCD-friendly Breakfast: Egg Muffins

 Mine aren't as pretty as the ones from Pinterest, but they taste freaking great.

Thank you, Pinterest!  These egg muffins are delicious and easy; they were my first "home from the hospital" recipe and didn't disappoint.  (Though after nearly two weeks of hospital food, I guess I'm not the best judge...)

I altered the recipe a little bit from the original (linked above).

Ingredients:
  • A dozen eggs were the perfect amount for my muffin tin.
  • 1 c. chopped organic cremini mushrooms (or enough to cover the bottom of your muffin tins)
  • one green onion
  • 1 c. shredded cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • butter/spray/something to keep the muffins from sticking
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Grease your muffin tin/liners.  (The original recipe called for a silicone muffin tray, and I would COMPLETELY agree. But I didn't have it.)
  3. Fill each muffin tin with enough mushrooms to cover the bottom.
  4. Cut several (I aimed for about 5) slices of green onion into each tin.  (I like to use scissors when cutting green onions. Lazy!)
  5. Sprinkle shredded cheese into each tin.  I was pretty liberal because cheese is amazing.
  6. Beat a dozen eggs in a separate bowl, stirring in salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Pour egg mixture into each tin, filling about 2/3 of the way.
  8. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
  9. The original recipe says they keep for a week in the fridge.  We shall see!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog through the Crohn's Disease/Ulcerative Colitis Mommies on baby center.
    I myself have Crohns and it is horrible a lot of the time so I definitely know how you feel. I was just diagnosed in October and even though I knew it was a possibility, it was still a shock to me. I went through a lot of pain, not getting out of bed for days, having my gallbladder removed and so many tests before finally getting diagnosed. I'm on asacol now but I don't really think it does that much so far.
    Anyways, I'm glad I found your blog. I don't have any children but we have been talking about it but are just worried about things since I do have crohns. It'll be nice to read your blog and hopefully every thing goes smoothly for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffany, Thank you so much for commenting and for your well wishes. It sounds like you've had a really rough few months--the process leading to your diagnosis sounds so painful. I'm so sorry.
    I had a so-so experience with Asacol as well. Actually, I went to Mayo Clinic a few years ago, and they told me a small percentage of patients experience worsening symptoms on Asacol; that might be something to ask your GI about? (I ended up going off it at that point.) Best of luck to you! I hope you find a therapy that works soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So even though you layer the mushrooms on the bottom, and pour the eggs over, does it mix on its own or do you stir it with a fork quick like the original recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't find that I needed to stir; as you pour the eggs, everything sort of floats around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this also safe for Ulcerative Colitis?

    ReplyDelete