Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Returning to SCD: Mexican Casserole

 Photo and basis for recipe from www.scdforlife.com

Once I get home, I'll be focusing on maintaining the Specific Carbohydrate Diet again.  Over the course of the past week or so, I've been compiling lots of recipes, but I think I'm most excited to make an old favorite: Mexican Casserole.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 can cooked black beans 
  • 1 cup fresh pico de gallo (I just lazily buy the prepared kind from Whole Foods)
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese 
  • 1/2 cup homemade yogurt (if you don't have this, you can make it without)
  • 1 avocado
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown ground turkey on the stove until cooked through.

Place 1/3 cooked meat in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish. Layer with half the beans, 1/2 the yogurt, 1/3 the pico de gallo, and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Repeat. Add the last third of the meat on top, cover with the remaining pico de gallo and cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Garnish with avocado.

 This is my version--served in bowl for easy shoveling into mouth.

For your non-SCD friends and family, you can serve this with tortillas, but my husband eats it like I do--in a messy bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment