Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Please, No Pneumonia!

Really hoping home remedies work this time! This is the least-gross one I've tried this week. 
Turmeric tea was a one time mistake...
 

What antibiotics can we take that are safe for baby AND for us?

Like all of you with suppressed immune systems from our myriad meds, winter colds are par for the course.  I get pneumonia pretty frequently, but I never minded in the past because a quick course of antibiotics could knock it out.  Now I'm knocking on the door of another bout with pneumonia, and struck with a pharma dilemma...
  • When we're not pregnant, IBD docs can prescribe flare-safe antibiotics: Levaquin or Cipro.  (I have begun horrible flares by trying different antibiotics, but these two apparently don't kill off the flora in your gut the same way.)
  • Those safe meds are NOT safe for baby, though.  The only antibiotics my OB says are safe for baby are the Z-pack and the Penicillin family.  However, I can hear my GI doc's words ringing in my ears: "The -illins are the villains!" And personally, I'm allergic to Erythromycin in the Z-pack, but I'm considering trying it with Benedryl since it seems like the only option.
Has anyone out there had a not-too-negative experience with a different antibiotic?  I'd love to hear suggestions/experience/opinions.

For right now, I'm just pounding honey/lemon concoctions like it's my job and hoping to avoid this choice altogether...

No comments:

Post a Comment