Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

An Unbiased Overview of SCD

I post so much about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I thought it was only responsible to offer the two opposing opinions on this controversial diet.

The fact is, throughout my 13 years with severe colitis, SCD has provided me with notable relief.  I notice a huge and immediate change in symptoms within hours of straying.  (Frankly, I wish it wasn't so dramatic, because it's really hard to stick to.)  Unfortunately, it restricts some very healthful foods (like whole grains) and can make it tough to retain weight, but for me, I lose a lot more weight when I'm flaring.

So it's really my only option to stay healthy--and I'm not even trying to get off medicine.  (Many people on SCD do it with the goal of getting off meds altogether.  That will never be my goal.)

But even though it works for me, it doesn't work for everyoneHere is an article from the wonderful CCFA that responsibly explores the two sides.

Foundation of SCD:
  • "The SCD is a grain-free, lactose-free, and sucrose-free meal plan that is several degrees more restrictive than the gluten-free diet. It is built on the premise that carbohydrates are the primary energy source for the intestinal microbes that contribute to the development of IBD. [The central idea is that] undigested carbohydrates in particular spur the formation of acids and toxins that can injure the small intestine, destroying the very enzymes that allow for carbohydrate digestion and absorption in a kind of vicious cycle."
The article goes on to explain:
  • Some people are helped by it, some are not.  Very hit or miss. 
  • There are no studies that prove its effectiveness, but that's because no one would profit from running that study, so who would pay for it? 
  • And as we all know, everyone is so different.  You might do really well on Asacol, and the next IBD patient might see the opposite effect.  The same is true for various diets.
Bottomline: if you're looking for relief, and the strongest meds are doing nothing, I'd give it a shot.  If it doesn't make a difference in a few weeks, don't waste your time.  Or, take bits and pieces after you see what works and what doesn't for you.  For example, I know that wheat is horrible for me, but potatoes in moderation can be okay.  But I do urge you to try the homemade yogurt!  It's my lifesaver.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try that. I cut out a lot of foods since it seemed every thing was making me sick but now I think I'm on the right path. Except for when I think something won't make me sick and then its pain town all over again :-/
    I don't know about you but cutting out dairy has helped me a lot. I saw your yogurt link and thought I'd recommend soy yogurt. I just started eating it and it taste just like regular stuff but doesn't make me sick. I get silk live soy yogurt, plus silk has a lot of good products too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can SO relate to that issue of feeling like you need to cut out so much! Sometimes it just feels like everything is bad news.

    I also have a really hard time with some dairy. And store-bought yogurt is disastrous (like, days of pain). I've experimented with cheddar, Parmesan, and lactose free milk though, and those are ok. (It's so different for each person though.) The homemade yogurt (I think because of the strength of the probiotics) is lactose free, and if you use goat milk, even better. (Not so tasty though.)
    Weirdly, soy is really tough for me to tolerate. I really, really wish it wasn't, because there are so many great soy options. (I would kill to be able to walk into a Starbucks and order a soy-based drink!) But thank you for your suggestion! I'm always looking for substitutions--they make life so much easier.
    How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been feeling pretty good. Haven't really had any major pain or any thing for about 2 weeks I think. It's been nice. But it always seems to go that way and out of the blue I'm back to square one. We are patiently waiting for me to be in remission or at least feeling good for a while so we can try to start a family. I saw your bump pic, how cute! I hope you're feeling well!
    Another product to maybe try is Daiya cheese. It's free of dairy (casein, whey and lactose), soy, gluten, eggs, rice, peanuts and tree nuts (except coconut oil). I think it's ok but whatever works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I'm definitely going to try Daiya! Thanks for the tip!

    That two steps forward/one step back feeling is so frustrating. But it sounds like things are improving little by little (fingers crossed). Two weeks is a great start!

    ReplyDelete