Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Health.

 Me, in the world's cheesiest picture.  But it's how today feels!

This morning I woke up and felt it.  For the first time since last March.  Like many of you, I've gotten used to the physical, emotional, and psychological toll of the constant flare.  And then this morning I woke up and felt that almost tangible difference: health.

It's the feeling that today will bring happiness, not more pain and worry.  And the actual ability to feel that happiness.  It's so hard to really engage with the world and feel happy when your body is failing; no matter how much I try to muster the will power to enjoy the moment, month after month, the physical drain of illness makes it nearly impossible.

We go through the motions ("This disease won't get the best of me!") but the things that would normally bring satisfaction, feelings of achievement, or even joy are only a success because we were able to complete them.  I'm so happy to be able to get meaning from life again.

I am so grateful today.  Like anyone coming out of an 8 month flare, I have lots of progress and drugs ahead, but getting a glimpse of the health that is possible makes it such and exciting road.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I can only imagine the joy you are feeling! I am so happy for you. I too have been in a flare for nearly 8 months and I'm not sure which side of it I am on yet. I pray for remission everyday, so with that being said I am so glad you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. God Bless and keep pushing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyoko, thank you so much for your comment. It's wonderful to be able to connect with you--but I'm so sorry to hear that you're enduring such a long flare too. It can feel like such an endless and uphill battle; I'm thinking of you and hoping that yours is nearly over as well.

      Delete