Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tapering Prednisone. Maybe.

 Here we go...

Well...my "quick taper" off oral prednisone is turning into a very, very slow taper.  While I'm still feeling a huge improvement, the actual progress isn't quite as impressive (blood loss, etc...you know the deal).  I bet many of you can relate.  My colon just isn't catching on: we're getting better, dammit.

I was supposed to drop from 40mg of prednisone to 30mg a couple days ago, but after still seeing blood daily, my doctor has decided to slow the taper.  I went down to 35mg yesterday and am still using the cortifoam and hydrocortisone enemas twice a day (as well as the Humira: 80mg injected per week). 

Tapering is always scary--I start to see little hints of the flare returning, and it's such a time of "wait and see what happens"; tomorrow could be a disaster or an exciting improvement.  One day can be such a huge turning point when on the cusp of a flare.

At first I really wanted to taper as quickly as possible; the less prednisone I expose the baby to, the happier I'd be.  But as time goes on, I dread a return to the hospital; stable medicine HAS to be better for baby than sporadic high doses right?  So I'm resigned to spending at least the entire second trimester on prednisone.  (That's what it's looking like with the rate of this taper.)  Break out the pill cutter...   

No comments:

Post a Comment