Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pound Cake (or close enough...)

 Craving something sweet?

We got home from dinner at 9:45 last night, and I NEEDED dessert.  (This isn't a pregnancy thing...it's pretty typical.)

So I cared about two factors:
1) Ingredients I already had in my kitchen
2) Quick prep

This pound cake from the Paleo people fits those requirements pretty well (although it does bake for 45 minutes).

Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup coconut milk (Buy canned in the ethnic food aisle--the others have added ingredients)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. orange extract
  • 1 cup almond flour (The original recipe suggested coconut flour, but I didn't have it.)
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. sea salt 
  • Butter to grease the pan
  • Frozen berries of your choice (I like organic wild blueberries; they're tiny and delicious)
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease a loaf dish thoroughly.
3. Beat eggs until smooth.
4. Add remaining liquid ingredients and mix.
5. Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.  My almond flour got clumpy, but just keep mixing.  It is a really liquid-y batter; don't worry, it will firm up.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, but you may need to add time (I added 5 minutes).  Start checking with a toothpick around 45 minutes every few minutes.  
7. Microwave your frozen berries just before serving/devouring.  

I like to use frozen berries because I'm cheap AND because they get extra gooey when you microwave them and the juices seep into the cake.  It's awesome.  The cake itself isn't totally pound cake-consistency (as I'm sure you'd predict with all those substitutions), but it really does taste good.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment